Friday, May 8, 2009

Well there are finally some tomatoes in the ground!



Rich had Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday afternoons with no rain, and he planted all the goliaths, about half of the total crop but they were the ones that were the largest and so now he has a little bit of time before he has to get the old heirlooms in the ground.

We have angels watching over the tomatoes all the time, well actually our entire home, and we are thankful for that.

For example, when the tornado came through in 2003, two houses to the south of us it was a total and complete mess with trees torn apart, sheds and garages destroyed, roofs off of houses you name it, and the only think we could find at our house that even suggested a little wind, was one of our downspouts had come apart at the joint, and was laying in the yard.

Anyway, I digress.

Last night, Rich came in about 4:30 said he was quitting before the storms hit, and he turned on the TV and there was the warning.

A terrible, horrible storm was headed right for us. It was predicting winds of 60 mph or more, quarter size hail, dangerous lightening, and heavy, heavy rain.

As I watched the weather with him, I asked him if he wanted to run out and dig the plants all back up (I was joking of course), but he just said, nope, whatever happens will happen (his life philosophy by the way, nothing ever gets to him, he just tells me things happen the way they are supposed to, and I do my best to have as much faith as he does).

So we sat there and waited. The clouds made the sky dark and ominous, the thunder rolled, and the rain came down in sheets for about 15 minutes, then it stopped, and it was over. No wind, no hail, just a heavy drenching of rain that the maters enjoyed immensely, and they grew about 6 inches over night!!

Anyway, the tomatoes are safe; no hail on them this time, and no wind to blow them over.

We talked to Rick, Becky, Rachel and Rylee Wednesday night, and I told Bec that he had 92 plants in the ground, and she was like “wow, do you have any yard left?’

Well yes, because he has those plants in a spot about 30 foot long and maybe 15 to 20 feet wide.

As I told her, you just can’t image how meticulous Rich is about his plants. When I went out the other evening to take my weekly pictures, he was on the ground with a yard stick, measuring his plant placement. There is an 18 inch gap between each and every plant and I would challenge anyone, to find one plant that was not in that 18 inch mark!






So that is the update for this time I guess.

With a bunch of rain yesterday evening, then rain most of this morning, I am guessing he will have to wait a few days before he can do anymore, but as I said, earlier, the biggest ones are in the ground, so that’s okay.

Talk to ya all later, Happy Mothers Day to all!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, they are beautiful!! And it doesn't surprise me at all that he has measured the exact space for them.

    ReplyDelete