Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Got my second wind, so let's move on to the LOGAN COUNTY FAIR

This is my second post in one day!  Imagine that with no time to post during the month of August, I have a lot of catching up to do.  I may not get to anything else today, but hope to in the next day or so add a couple more.

This was my first year of working the fair, and I really had a good time with it.

All of the work I did there was photography and in all the Lincoln Daily News posted 252 pictures, 161 of those were mine.

I actaully started on Saturday before the fair with the 4-H dog show, then was out there on Sunday and talked with John Fulton, Logan County Extension Advisor in charge of the 4-H portion of the fair, and also Mike Maske who is on the fair board.

We did one POW story on fair volunteers and this year offered more coverage on fair events than we ever have before.

I also covered the demolition derby on the last night of the fair, and later I'll post some pics from that as well.

For now though, I'm just going to share some of my favorites from the animals and their kids!

Normally this is the kind of pic (above) one would delete, but it struck me funny that at the CAT SHOW, the GREEN EYED MONSTER had this little furball in its grip!
I'm going to comment on this one and the one below because this is what I learned at the fair.  When showing rabbits, the bunny has to be inverted to lay on his back.  Before the show began, the judge actaully went around to the various kids and made sure they knew how to put the bunny on its back successfully, and then what to look for once they did, as this is a sex check, and apparently that is not terribly easy to determine on a bunny.
Anyway, this little boy is just as sweet as any can be, and he had no clue how to roll the bunny over safely.
And.........the bunny had NO DESIRE to stay there once the little boy got him in the right position.  The picture below shows a contorted bunny as he escapes the boys hold and makes a mad dash for parts unknonw in the barn.  The good thing though was that the kid was quick, and he had the bunny under control again before he ever made it off the show stand!
And, you can't have a fair without rain right Mindy????
Logan County's fair is no exception.  The pictures below are from the first official day of the fair when the horrid storm moved through.  The wind was terrible, the rain was a real downpour, and when the tornado sirens went off, John Fulton had us all stand against the only brick wall in the pole shed structure.


1 comment:

  1. No, heaven forbid you have a better week at the fair than I did, LOL. I also find the "John Fulton" thing funny-- did you tell him he spells his name wrong??

    ReplyDelete