Sunday, March 15, 2009

wind turbines













This is the first wind farm to come to Logan County. The farm is located north of Lincoln about 10 mile and spreads across Logan and Tazwell counties.

I had to run up to San Jose Friday for an interview, and got to see these monsters first hand for the first time.

They are located on the north and south sides of Illinois Route 136, and to the east of 155.

I was about 8 mile from their actual location when they became visible as I drove north on route 121, which runs along side 155.

After I got done in San Jose, I came back to the farm and drove among these towers, taking pictures, these are just a few of my favorites.

These towers stand about 350 foot tall. The box like structure at the top, to put it in persentvie is about the size of two modular homes stacked on top of one another. I got to see one of those first hand the other day as it passed through Lincoln, it was gigantic.

The blades are so large that they are transported to the construction site in huge sections, as are the towers.

There is a second wind farm going to locate in Logan county, to the west of Lincoln. The towers there will be 500 foot tall, and will generate twice the electricity of the ones shown here.

I can't wait to get and and get some pictures of those!

1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see these in person!!! How exciting, wish I had a wind farm in my back yard!! I got to see part of this technology when I went to Denver and went to the National Renewable Energy Lab, but there was not just a "field" of windmills.

    ReplyDelete